I am pleased to announce the release of Xen 4.10.2 and 4.9.3. Xen Project Maintenance releases are released in line with our Maintenance Release Policy. We recommend that all users of the 4.10 and 4.9 stable series update to the latest point release.
These releases are available from their git repositories
xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable-4.10 (tag RELEASE-4.10.2)
xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable-4.9 (tag RELEASE-4.9.3)
or from the Xen Project download pages
These releases contain many bug fixes and improvements. For a complete list of changes, please check the lists of changes on the download pages.
As many of you know, XenSummit Asia 2010, originally planned for Nov 3-4 in Seoul, Korea, is being postponed. The current plan is to push back the event by about a month, and possibly expand it to include a user “XenDirections” track.
Until we hire a new community Xen.org community manager, I will be the main Citrix contact for this event.
To help us plan, I’ve put together a survey, which can be found here. If you’re possibly interested in attending either a developer summit or a user event, please fill it out; and pass it along to people you know who may be interested.
Here are the final results of the two surveys:
Open Public Survey
23 of 65 have been to a Xen Summit in the past
NA Xen Summit -> 15 YES / 16 MAYBE / 34 NO
EMEA Xen Summit -> 38 YES / 15 MAYBE / 12 NO
Xen Summit Attendees from XS AMD 2010
25 of 25 have attended Xen Summit
NA Xen Summit -> 18 YES/ 7 MAYBE
EMEA Xen Summit -> 4 YES / 11 MAYBE / 10 NO
As you can see, there is support to host the event in Europe as well as North America. I will be talking with more people in the community about this as I work toward a final decision. Thanks for your help in participating in the survey.
As you know, there is interest in having the first Xen Summit in 2011 in Europe instead of North America. To get a better sense of what the community would like I created two surveys. An open full community survey still running at http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/309833/Xen-Summit-2011-Event-Location-Survey until June 28th and a survey directly to all the attendees of the previous Xen Summit at AMD in April of this year; this survey will also be open until June 28th (Please contact me if you attended Xen Summit NA at AMD and did not get the link). Here are the early results of these two surveys:
Open Community Survey Results (48 Respondents)
17%Â Â Germany
31.7% Other (China, Japan, Chile, etc)
Have you ever attended a Xen Summit?Â 58.3% No – 41.7% Yes
Hold in NA? 47.9% No – 27.1% Maybe – 25% Yes
Hold in Europe? 60.4% Yes – 27.1% Maybe – 12.5% No
People who have attended a Xen Summit:Â (Yes) NA = 7Â Â – (Yes) Europe = 11
Xen Summit Attendees Survey Results (24 Respondents)
83% from US
8.4% from UK
4.2% from Canada
4.2% from Japan
Hold in NA?Â 70.8% Yes – 29.2% Maybe
Hold in Europe? 41.7% Maybe – 41.7% No – 16.7% Yes
Conclusions: As you can see, there is clearly a desire for a Xen Summit to be held in Europe; however, we would lose some of our regular attendees from North American events. The current numbers show that we would lose about 7 or 8 regulars if the event were held in Europe. Of course, I will let the surveys run for another 13 days before publishing the final data and making any type of decision.
I am starting to work on plans for the Xen.org Xen Summit events in 2011 and am considering hosting an event in Europe instead of North America in the early part of 2011. I will again host Xen Summit Asia in the end of 2011 as there is great demand for Xen in Asia and I see no reason to move the event from Asia at this time. However, the last two North American events in Silicon Valley have provided easy access to many community members but we are not necessarily reaching the entire community; thus my thinking about going to Europe in early 2011.
To help in this decision, please take this super quick 3 question survey to give your input: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/309833/Xen-Summit-2011-Event-Location-Survey.
I will leave this survey open for 3 weeks before reporting back to the community the results.
Only two more days to participate in the Xen.org Annual Community Survey – http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/299966/Xen-org-2010-Community-Survey. I plan to stop the survey this Friday at Noon EST to begin calculating all the results and comparing them to last years survey. All final results will be published to the community early next week; however, I will not publish any names so feel free to express your opinions openly.